Deep Desires

Deep Desires - Charlotte Stein 4.5 starsI'll be honest: I'm a little mixed up inside as I'm trying to write an eloquent review of this book. What I really want to do is reread it (and I'm going to), but I also want to get this review out so others can run to read.What is it about Charlotte's words that are so utterly captivating? That just pull the reader in, make them take notice? She writes in such a deep POV that it's nearly impossible not to feel every ounce of what the heroine does.This book, for me, paralleled a lot of Sheltered, which is in my top 5 books of 2012. They both deal with deeply troubled and broken individuals. They both take us on a dark journey and deal with the sweet redemption. I think that's what I like best about her books. Yes, we have to trudge through the thickest, most horrendous things to get to our HEA, but that's what makes it so gratifying. These characters worked for their happiness. It wasn't something that just fell into their laps.From the first page, Charlotte's naughty words force you to take notice. She was not messing around with this book. And though there was a lot of sexual encounters in here (and there were a lot), each one was integral to the forward progression and healing of both Ivan and Abbie.Let's talk for a minute about Abbie. This is written in first person POV, from Abbie's head. And it's a mess. The way Charlotte writes is very stream-of-consciousness. We get every ounce of Abbie's jumbled thoughts, which I think only lets us delve deeper into the character. While she is flawed and damaged, she is also raw and hopeful and surprisingly funny. There is something so refreshing about finding humor in the darkest places and grabbing on to that -- even if it's the only thing that gets you through. The only thing that felt off to me with Abbie was her freedom with the dirty talk. It was unexpected coming from her, especially considering the situation she'd escaped from. However, when I go back and reread, maybe I'll pick up on the details for why Charlotte chose to make her that way, just as I did with Evie in Sheltered.And Ivan. Oh, man. While he wasn't up there as high as Van for me, he came a close second. He was deliciously dirty. The way this man talked and the things he did...God."You've no idea how much I want you. I want to bury my face between those legs, taste how wet you are, lick that stiff little clit.""Ohhh, it's so stiff. I can hardly touch it.""I'll touch it. Spread your legs for me, baby."***But it's not just the filthy things that come out of his mouth. It's also:"You're a bad girl, trying to force me over the edge. ... But you don't have to. I'm already there. I'm already lost in you."Charlotte once again delivers with a gripping, dark, and emotional roller coaster of a book. One I won't be forgetting for a long time to come.