Midnight Reckoning (Dark Dynasties #2)

Midnight Reckoning (Dark Dynasties #2) - Kendra Leigh Castle 2.5 starsGod, this was a giant letdown after the awesome introduction we got in Dark Awakening. I don't know what it was, really. The whole book just felt off to me. The writing was stilted and not as polished. Several sentences and passages had me rereading because they didn't make sense. And the characters--though I liked Jaden, I didn't love any of them. Lyra was not my favorite heroine. I enjoy a strong female lead, but there is a fine line the author has to walk to make her strong and remain likable and not just a bitch. I'm not sure Castle pulled it off. I was also missing the heat of the first one. We had unbelievable sexual chemistry and tension with Ty and Lily, and I don't think it was there with Lyra and Jaden. Finally, the ending was...what? I mean, really. What? I saw that coming from the beginning, thinking that the whole Eric thing was just too convenient for it to be him, but wondering how in the world Simon could be the bad guy with how he was portrayed. Castle really would've benefited from adding a bit of foreshadowing throughout, which she didn't do. It was all just too convenient with the explanation at the end. I also felt like it was wrapped up too quickly. There was all this build-up and then it was just...done.I'm still going to head into book 3, but I'm not quite as excited about it as I'd hoped...