Waking Up Married

Waking Up Married - Mira Lyn Kelly I was so pleasantly surprised by this book. I honestly wasn't expecting much. And I know that's horrible to say, but it's Harlequin, and my tastes tend to be a little off from their usual style. However, I think the fact that this was their new KISS line had a lot to do with my overall reaction to the story, the characters and the flow.First, let's talk story. This isn't a new plot. However, it's one of my favorites when done right and when fresh. I think Ms. Kelly managed both with this book, and I loved the small details that made this a unique take on an old storyline.Now, characters. I love, love, love, love, loved Connor. Everything about him (except his idiocy). He was sweet and loyal and flirtatious and sexy and strong and funny and and and... And then there's Megan. She was basically everything I look for in a heroine, and from what I know of the KISS line, that's something that is a requirement, and I, for one, couldn't be happier. I can't stand weak, whiny heroines. I like mine with back bones and sass and smarts, and Megan had it all. The banter was fabulous, the flow was great, the arc wasn't rushed or trite or cliched...everything balanced nicely. I laughed and I smiled and I got that pit in my stomach when everything sort of fell apart. That's the mark of a good book for me. I mean, obviously this is a CR so you know there's an HEA, but how they were going to get there was unclear, and that made all the difference for me in going through the motions with these characters.If you're looking for a light-hearted, fun read with engaging and fresh characters, this is an excellent way to spend a few hours. The best part? Word on the street is this sucker is free on Amazon.