The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins So, this has been the talk of the town for, what, a year or more? But, let's face it, during that year there were a lot of "OMG - I'M DYING FROM THIS BOOK!!!!!" so you could see why I put it off. And put it off. And put it off. Then bought the entire box set cause it was on sale, then put it off some more. But then I cleared some time and I sat down to it.The premise is really, really unique and intriguing. The characters are strong and well thought out, and it's easy to feel a sort of kinship with them from the get-go. Katniss's strength is something I long to see in every female lead character, and unfortunately rarely is. However, her incredible naivety and obtuseness regarding things of the heart rather than the head had me clenching my fists in irritation.Then you add in The Capitol, which moves the players of the book like they're engaging in a game of chess, and my rage goes up even further. I don't do well with people being forced into something, coerced into a different outcome, or, I don't know, told they need to pretend to fall in love in order not to die.So, I guess it was inevitable that I have an affliction to Peeta from the beginning and feel a natural pull for Gale. While Peeta was naturally easy to like, I couldn't help but wondering, "What about Gale?" and, for God's sake, "WHAT WAS HE GOING TO TELL HER BEFORE HE GOT PULLED FROM THE ROOM?!?!"In the end, there were a lot of questions left open--which, I understand, it's part of a series, but as you know if you've read any of my previous reviews, I think that 99% of the questions that need to be answered from book one should be done so in book one.All in all, I enjoyed the book. It was captivating and held my attention enough to finish it fairly quickly. I enjoyed the author's writing style and think it worked well with Katniss's complete lack of seeing how things really were. She did it in a way that the readers were able to pick up on it, but Katniss was left clueless.What I didn't like, however, was the overall *feel* of the story, the actual plot and the players behind it. Not that they weren't good or well thought out, but simply because that's not the kind of thing that makes me happy I read a book. That's the kind of thing that makes me rage and get a migraine.We'll see what I think after I finish 2 and 3...