Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher If I could do half stars (ARE YOU LISTENING, GOODREADS?!?!?!), I'd give this 4.5 stars, but I can't, so I'm rounding down.I'll admit it - I didn't care much for the style of this book at the beginning. But my curiosity was too heavy for me to flounce the book, so on I went. The further I got into the book, the more the style settled with me. It was very choppy. Very "subject/verb/period", wash, rinse, repeat. However, the more I got into the book, the more I sort of got into the flow - it was very stream of consciousness, and it worked for the storytelling.Was this book heartbreaking? Yes. Did it make me cry? No. It was...heavy, no doubt about it. And incredibly thought provoking. This is the kind of book that should be required reading in high school because I'm certain it would pertain to each and every person that reads it.In the end, it left me with this sort of uneasy pit in the bottom of my stomach, sort of like it did after I finished watching The Green Mile. You know the feeling? The one where it's sadness, hopelessness, mixed with regret? Where you know that it didn't HAVE to happen that way, but it did and there's nothing you can do about it? Yeah, that's how I feel right about now.It was suspenseful in a non-scary way...just sort of made me want to blow through it (hence my four hour read time). And even though I said it should be required for HS students, it would do everyone else some good to read it, too, and realize that your actions effect more than just you.This book will definitely stay with me for a long, long time.