Something Like Normal

Something like Normal - Trish Doller I was pleasantly surprised by this book. When I picked it up at the library, I checked the verdicts of my friends, and it seemed to be split down the middle. They either really liked it or they really didn't. I decided to give it a go, mostly because it was so short (just over 200 pages), so I knew even if I didn't like it, it wouldn't be a huge time investment. I'm happy to say I actually really liked this one. From the get go, I wasn't sure if I'd like Travis because on page four, we find out he cheated on his long term girlfriend. Many times. That's a big no-no for me, so I wasn't sure I'd connect with him. But after reading about what a gross girl his ex was, it didn't bother me. There were parts that did bother me: the resolution at the end between Travis and Harper seemed thin and, really, quite non-existent. But, honestly, I was so caught up in the emotion of everything else happening that it didn't bother me enough to nix a star. The issues that Travis dealt with after coming home from Afghanistan were heartbreaking and messy and raw, and I loved that about this book. I found Travis's voice to be authentic and real (or what I'd imagine it would be) for a nineteen year old boy. Besides a great story, it was also nice to get a polished, fully edited book in the world of NA.