Altered

Altered - Jennifer Rush 4.5 starsWell, this was a pleasant surprise! I'd had this book for two months from the library and I finally picked it up with two days until it was due back (I'd ran out of renewals, even). Figured I'd give it a shot. Welp, I couldn't put it down. Admittedly, I don't read much YA anymore, but Altered felt new and fresh and unique in a way so few YA books do for me. The plot was fast paced, exciting, intriguing and kept me turning the pages. The characters were flawed, but likable. I really loved the MC's voice, and that is generally a make or break for me. The twists and turns this book took were well done and a couple even threw me for a loop. While this is the first in a series, this book felt complete enough that I feel confident recommending it to fellow series haters. There were plenty of questions left unanswered, but only the kind that will make for an exciting, page-turning series, and not the kind that make me want to throw the book across the room after the last page. This one is definitely worth a try.