After Hours: (InterMix)

After Hours: (InterMix) - Cara McKenna Well, color me surprised.I have a love/hate relationship with Ms. McKenna. Now, now, hear me out... I love the way she writes. Seriously love. Her characters and the snark and the sex (holy hell, the sex). However, I generally hate the types of books she writes. Now her alter ego, Meg Maguire? Exactly the stuff I'm looking for, but wish it was just a little (okay, a lot) hotter. If only there were a way to meld the two... Alas, I don't think I'm going to get my wish, so I'll pick and choose the McKenna pieces I can safely read. Which, sadly, aren't many.But, surprisingly, this was one of them. I wasn't sure I was going to like this. In fact, I was almost positive I'd have to flounce. See, I have a real problem with BDSM (no matter if it's true BDSM or BDSM-lite) and dominant assholes. And that's what I totally thought I was getting with this.I didn't.Sure, there were a handful of times my hackles were raised, but it wasn't anything that made me want to flounce (i.e. sleep on the floor like a dog, BECAUSE I'M THE MAN AND I SAID SO). It was just Kelly being bossy Kelly. And, I'll be honest, I really really loved him for the most part. He was strong and hard but wonderfully soft at the perfect times. The tiny glimpses we got of the tender Kelly were all the more special because of the man we knew he was.As this was told in first person narrative, you pretty much have to enjoy the MC if you're going to enjoy the book, and I did. I liked Erin. I loved her self-awareness and her journey and how she grew by the end (Kelly too).I'm eagerly awaiting Cara's next release so I can see if I can put it on my to-read shelf, or if I have to label it you can't read this don't even try.