My Life Next Door

My Life Next Door - Huntley Fitzpatrick *sigh* Where do I start with this review? I want to tell you guys ALL THE THINGS, but I'm afraid that I will spoil this book. And, believe you me, this is a book that can definitely be spoiled.Without giving too much away, let me tell you that I really, really enjoyed reading this. I was promised by, well, everyone that I would fall all over myself in love with Jase. But I was skeptical. Because, well, I've heard this before. (Exhibit A, Exhibit B, Exhibit C) I was beginning to think my swoon-meter was broken.Rest assured, friends, IT'S NOT BROKEN!!Jase has taken the #1 book boyfriend spot away from Etienne. That's right. You heard me.He did everything right in this book. He was gentle and caring and considerate and understanding and swoony and soft and hard (giggle) all at once. He was amazing to Sam. Ah. May. Zing.Okay, so that was really why I loved this book as much as I did. I loved Jase. I loved Jase's family. I loved Jase's relationship with Sam. I loved Jase's relationship with Tim. I loved how Jase was to all those people. The only complaint I could ever imagine anyone saying about him was that he was too perfect. To them, I say: pbbbbfffffffftttttttttAnother thing I enjoyed (sans spoilers) was Sam. This was told in 1st person POV, and it is so, so difficult to enjoy a book if you don't connect to the main character. Fortunately, I liked Sam for the entire thing. I understood her reasoning behind everything, and even at the point in the book where one may have issue with her, I didn't. I could see her point through the whole thing.I will say, in as non-spoilery of a way as I can, that I didn't love everything about this book. The ending was too rushed, especially when I felt there were chunks of this book that could have been cut completely and we wouldn't have lost anything. It also felt a bit like there was a huge wind-up, and then it sort of fizzled. Lots of meandering toward the end, without a satisfactory or justified resolution for several characters. What I was missing in this book was growth. And remorse. It's for those reasons that I can't give this the 5 star rating Jase is begging me to give. He is worth 10 stars alone. But as a book, this just didn't stack up to all my expectations. And that's why I'm knocking it down to 4 stars.But just to be sure that doesn't sway you from reading, let me leave you with some Jase deliciousness:His hands are rough and capable. So much about Jase Garrett seems like a man, not a boy.***"Put this back on now." I thrust his shirt at him."Okay. Why?""Just do it.""Unbelievably distracted by my body, Samantha?""Yes."He laughs. "Good. We're on the same page, then."***He pulls my lower lip gently with his teeth, then fits his mouth to mine. First so careful, and then so deep and deliberate, that I can't think of anything at all but his smooth back under my hands.***"But...I'm not like that. I want to go to college. I want to be good enough..." He pauses. "For you."***And the way he does look at me makes me feel absolutely beautiful. "I can't look away," he whispers huskily.Are you sold yet? Jaysus. Also, can I just say that the *ahem* intimate scenes in this book were FUCKING AMAZING? Good. Cause they were.Go. Read. Swoon.